Thursday, 10 June 2010

My Melaka

Never say never. I've told myself I'll never ever live or work in Malaysia (Yes, I was arrogant). But here I am, having lived in Melaka for almost 2 years.

I'm a sentimental person, sometimes. As the days draws closer to the end of my stay in Melaka (when my course ends here), I find myself starting to compile a list of things and activities I'll miss when I leave.

1. Hill runs at Bukit Beruang. I was doing that consistently last year when I was training for the Kinabalu Climbathon. I stopped going there for awhile after the race. But last week when I went there for a walk, I saw the same familiar faces. 1 uncle even ask why I was absence for months. I just smile.

2. Cheap movie at Dataran Pahlawan. On weekdays before 5pm, tickets are priced at 6RM.

3. Evening run around Taman Merdeka. Running passed the house, sometimes I peeked into the house to see family gathering together after dinner in front of the TV. Other times, I saw kids playing badminton just outside their house; elderly man doing gardening; boys playing basketball; Kids cycling; family having dinner at coffee shop; pasar malam.

4. Evening dilemma on what to eat for dinner. I will dedication a entry on food.

5. Strolling along Jonker walk on a weekday afternoon or evening. I like the old charm of Five Foot Street. The real charm of Jonker walk is that the real shops run by the locals and patronized by the local, not the weekend Pasar Malam overcrowded with tourist.

6. Cheng Ho Tea House. Also at Jonker Walk, Great tea house with great ambiance.

7. Bus Terminal Melaka Sentra. It's big, air-conditioned, has a Mcd for me to grab my meal before I board the bus. It's the gateway to the rest of West Malaysia and Singapore.

8. Walk along the Melaka River. It's quiet, no cars, no crowd. Most visitors are more interested in the overcrowded Jonker Walk. Unfortunately, you can only find the real charm of Jonker Walk if you can remove all the tourist, hence, the river is a great escape and a stark contrast. There are interesting riverside cafe.

9. Road junction that surprises. It was first a cross junction with traffic lights, next the government upgrade it into a roundabout, finally it was transformed into a roundabout with traffic light! At other junction, it could be 2-way road, but the next time you come, it becomes 1-way road.

10. Driving on the PLUS highway in daytime. I love driving on long stretch of road. My fav stretch is near Pagoh. It kinda remind me of those days when I have to commute between Chilliwack and Vancouver.

If I'm not on the wheels, I love to stare out as far as I can to see the blue sky, wonderful cloud formation, huge palm plantation, hills, mountains and rainbows!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wah! Melaka has so many interesting places to go to! i will bring my friends to go there to hang out and stay a couple of days. Thanks for your Free and special views of it's places!

yours fan,
small firefly *=*