Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Smile when you're joyful, cry when you're sad

Do you know Neil Humphrey? He is a British humour columnist who moved to Singapore in 1996 and lived here for more than 10 years. He's authored 3 books about Singapore. Recently, he wrote an article for Men's Health. Under the column Man to Man, he write about his thoughts on men who cry.

He declared that he is a cry baby when it comes to movie. Have you seen the movie "My Sister's Keeper". I can relate to Neil because I was crying when I watch the movie on DVD.

Ok, so it's my turn. Do I cry at movie? Yes I do. I think I got braver at admitting it after reading the article. Coincidentally, I was talking to Nami about the Japanese movie that won Best Foreign film at the Academy Award. I cried at the theatre too. Over the years, I realise I am more sensitive to my feelings and I can better articulate them. I no longer find it weird or girlie to cry. God made me a human with the ability to experience the full spectrum of emotion-Joy,anxiety,sadness, happiness, loneliness, great sense of fulfillment, indignant and so on. Sometimes I wonder if we have enough words in the world to describe emotion.

When you are happy, you want to share it with someone. When you are full of joy, you can't take the smile off your face. When you are sad, disappointed, depressed, you cry. There is nothing unusually or weird about crying. Sometimes, I find it surprising that I cry and I try to find out why. I hardly think about it when I broke out into laughter. Am I right?

You see, there are alot of things about our body and about the world that we have yet to fully understand and comprehend. Take for instance, thunderstorm. Up till today, no one can fully understood how clouds are formed. How is it that the gathering of water vapour can generate so much energy? We know about the static electric form in cumulus clouds. But where and how does the energy comes from. All we know is that lightning could generate tens of thousands of wattage.

Why do human cry? We don't really know. Though some speculate that it's the body natural mechanism to cope with stress and/or grieve. We also cry when we're overwhelm with joy, Haven't you seen men cry when they win at sports?

If you don't usually suppress your smile when you are happy, do the same when you are sad. Go on and cry.

No comments: